Pancake Day in London
The ultimate breakfast comfort food, PANCAKES! Fluffy, warm goodness with a golden brown crust and a soft centre, drizzled with maple syrup and the toppings of your choice! Pancake Day 2018 falls on Tuesday February 13. So here are some recipes from us to help you prep for Pancake Day in London!
1. Buttermilk pancake
If you’re looking to make the basic everyday pancake, this buttermilk pancake recipe is perfect for you! Simple but hits all the taste buds!
- 2 Cups (280g) all – purpose flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 3 Tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 2 Cups (480ml) Buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp (60g) melted butter
- First, melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, egg and vanilla extract
- Add the liquid to the dry mix and lightly mix together.
- Slowly drizzle in the cooled butter and stir.
- Put a heavy bottom frying pan or griddle on medium heat-low heat.
- Spoon one big spoon of the batter per pancake.
- Cook for roughly 4 minutes on one side. Once bubbles form, flip them!
- Cook until brown. Enjoy with butter and maple syrup.
2. Pancakes stuffed with nutella
For something with an extra kick, try out these pancakes! Once you cut into it, you get this ooey-gooey chocolatey hazelnut mixture!
- 10 – 14 tbsp Nutella
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1cup + 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp butter
Frozen Nutella Disc
Line a baking tray with baking paper (parchment paper).
Dollop 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp of Nutella onto the baking tray and spread into a disc around 6cm in diameter and 1/2 cm thick. Repeat to make 7 discs.
Place the tray in the freezer until firm (around 1 to 1 1/2 hours).
Peel off the parchment paper. Keep the Nutella discs in the freezer until required (they soften quickly).
Place the Dry Ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
Make a well in the centre and place the Wet Ingredients in the well. Whisk until combined and lump free.
Melt 1/2 tsp butter in a non stick fry pan over medium heat. Once melted, wipe most of the butter off with a paper towel
Take 3 Frozen Nutella Discs out of the freezer just before you start cooking.
Dollop 1/4 cup of batter into the fry pan. Working quickly, place 1 Frozen Nutella Disc in the middle of the batter, then top with batter to cover the Nutella disc.
When bubbles start appearing around the edges, lift up the edge and make sure the underside is golden. Then flip and cook until the other side is golden.
Serve warm with sliced strawberries!
3. The Healthy Pancake aka Banana Pancakes
True pancake lovers would call this blasphemous, but don’t knock it till you try it! Sweet and also a tad bit savoury with a hint of cinnamon and banana. Be sure to give this a go!
- 1 banana
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- Mash a very ripe banana
- Whisk up your eggs in a separate bowl
- Combine the ingredients
- Dollop a scoop of batter into the fry pan. Cook only 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Serve with your favourite fruit or maple syrup!
Whatever the recipe, be sure to give one of these a go!
Why Pancake Day?
Pancake Day, also known as Shrove Tuesday is the feast day immediately before Ash Wednesday which marks the start of the 40 days of Lent that lead up to Easter. Lent, traditional means that there is a period of abstinence usually associated with the clearing of your cupboards of things like sugar, fat and eggs. Pancake day is perfect as it helps you use up all those ingredients fast!
For more recipes, click here!